Friday, August 16, 2013

Albuquerque and Austin

We raced through New Mexico, getting to my friend Brett's place late and leaving the next morning. He did take us to this Albuquerque gem called The Frontier, complete with several John Wayne paintings:

This one is made with nails:


And why this one is not in every living room in America, I'll never know:


The frustrating thing about traveling without a good camera is that sometimes you want to take a breathtaking picture of the oil fields of Texas, slowing churning into the ground against an azure sky, and it comes out like this turd of a photo:


Stupid iPhone.

Our stop is Austin was quite nice. I assumed that I would love Denver and be unimpressed by Austin, and it was quite the reverse! My friend Dan and his girlfriend Katie showed us around, and Austin seems to be filled with bistro lights, food trucks, and craft beer places with picnic table patio seating. The river running through the city makes it feel a little like a western Portland. I would totally live there.


Alas, we left in the morning for the South, and in the purple sky of the setting sun and the soft glow of the Waffle House sign... I knew we were getting close.


During this trip, we've been using the Glympse app to let our parents know exactly where the hell we are. It updates in real time, shows our destination, and shows our speed. If we're maintaining the speed limit, my parents know that Hitchcock is driving. At least ten miles over the speed limit, well, that's me. As my second cousin Susan says, "When I see a speed limit sign, I know it's just a suggestion. I know what's really in their hearts."








No comments:

Post a Comment